Box #3

Saturday, June 23, 2012

It's hot and humid outside.  Yuck.  I just swept up the tiny flowers from the deck that have been hiding out under our table and chairs.  I went the el cheapo route and got a cover from Big Lots because it was cheap.  Turns out it was also shitty and ripped to shreds way too easily.  During a storm yesterday, as the wind was making the cover billow upwards, I watched as a small opening in the cover became a giant gash.  I've ordered a new (good) cover from Amazon and the old cover is in the trash.  So, in the meantime, the furniture is spread out on the deck and drying after the monsoons yesterday evening and in the middle of the night.

After sweeping the deck, refilling the bird feeder (I know ~some~ fine feathered friends are probably pleased with that activity), and picking up flowers and junk from the front bedding, I came inside to enjoy some time before Lil wakes up. Now that I have some ice water by my side, I guess I need to catch up on my blog... "Write on blog" is indeed one of the weekend tasks that is on my calendar, so at least I get to check it off, too!

I picked up box #3 on Wednesday.  There's a picture of the goodies below.  What's new this week?  Cabbage and green beans.




I'm not going to list out everything because nothing's too exotic.  So far we've used a tomato and most of the lettuce in salads for lunch.  For dinner tonight, we're having coleslaw (using the cabbage), BLTs (using the tomatoes), and a watermelon I picked up at Costco.   Below is a pic of the salad.  It had the hydroponic lettuce, tomato, blue cheese crumbles, balsamic vinaigrette, and candied walnuts.  I thought it was yummy.  Brian didn't think the nuts went well in it.  We had the salad with baked potatoes that I cooked most of the way through in the microwave, then coated with oil and kosher salt and baked for a bit in the toaster oven.  I've never done it that way, and they were yummy.



I'm making Japanese chicken and veggies tomorrow night, which will use some of the squash and zucchini.  Later this week I'll make something with the green beans.  For the rest of the cabbage, I'm trying a new recipe for colcannon.  I'm still deciding on which recipe, but since I've never made it before, it will be new.  DAMN.  I just realized I forgot to get butter at the store.  I went and did my main shopping yesterday, and then went again today because the store I went to yesterday didn't have everything I needed.  So I guess I'll be going grocery shopping, again, in the next couple of days.  Oh, well.  Maybe I can get Brian to go for me.  Anyways, the uses for the rest of the veggies is still TBD.  I'll let you know after I know!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Notes, News, and Reviews Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino