Buried Stuff (aka carrots & beets)

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

On Sunday (I think it was), I made a delicious salad out of leftover veggies and fridge/freezer odds and ends.  It had the rest of the hydroponic lettuce from the box, the rest of the basil and mozzarella from our caprese salads, the last tomato from the box, walnuts, grapes, balsamic, olive oil, and s & p.  YUM!

This weekend I also used the carrots from the box.  They were simply roasted, and about 8 minutes before they were done, I pulled them out of the oven and quickly tossed them with sugar and balsamic. Back in the oven they went to get all delicious.  And that they were!  The recipe had me using a bit over a tsp of sugar, which seemed too much so I didn't use it.  However, I'll probably use that much next time.  In the picture, the lighter carrots are from the box, and the orange ones are from the fridge.  Brian and I can chow down on some roasted veggies, and it's not much harder to make extra.  If we don't eat them at the meal, the will certainly get eaten as leftovers.  I'll be making this recipe again, for sure.




Earlier this week I also used the beets.  And guess what?  Brian actually liked them!  He'll say he doesn't like beets, and he doesn't like pickles.  I think he's maybe only had pickled beets, so those always had to be a major loser for him.  So, I looked for a recipe that went another direction. Funny enough, he also doesn't like Swiss cheese (unless it's in "Mad Garlic Potatoes" aka  potatoes gratin).  But he liked the recipe!  I'm amazed.  It was good, but we had it the day after I made it, so it was a bit dry for our tastes.  We both prefer a bit gooier.  Here's the recipe for Beet and Beet Green Gratin.  After the turnip incident, I learned to only make 1/2 a recipe for something new. I forgot to take a picture of it  before we ate it.  It's very purple, probably because I added extra cheese to the top that melted, and the beet juice got all involved. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Notes, News, and Reviews Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino