Lettuce Wraps

Saturday, June 2, 2012

On Tuesday of this week, we had lettuce wraps (the lettuce was from the box).  Yum.  On Monday, I made a marinade of soy sauce, minced garlic, ginger, brown sugar, Sriracha (a new condiment for me), and a few red pepper flakes.  I added pieces of very small diced chicken and let marinate about an hour.  I quickly cooked the chicken.  For the veggies, I used finely diced cabbage (bok choy would be good, but I just used generic cabbage) and shredded carrots.  I quickly cooked the veggies separate from the chicken.  Both the veggies and chicken were stashed in the fridge for Tuesday.  On Tuesday, I made a slurry of water, soy sauce, and cornstarch to make the chicken and veggies mixture stick together better.  After cooking the slurry briefly, I added the main stuff until it was all warmed through.  Some cooked rice noodles and fresh green onions were supposed to add nice textures.  I forgot to put the onions on the table so they didn't get used.

I also made a dipping sauce with peanut butter, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and a splash of water. 

Results:  Yummy, but worked better as a salad.  The lettuce was just too delicate to hold all the filling.  It worked better to just cut it all up and mix together as a salad.  This method also worked well for the leftovers.  I added peanuts, and also the green onions, when I had the leftovers. Both will be added the first go around next time.

Lettuce washed and ready to go

Ready to roll, dip, and eat

Bonus notes of the day:
I've found that if we want to eat real food, I really need to plan well.  Part of that is having more time intensive/last-minute intensive meals on the weekends when Brian can be on baby duty.  The other part of that is being able to prep things ahead of time.  On Monday, when Brian was off work, I prepped for Tuesday.  Tuesday night I made the marinade and sauce for fish tacos tomorrow.  So on Wednesday I just had to add the fish to the marinade and grill, make the rice, and cut up the cabbage.  Not too complicated or time intensive.
______________________________________________________________________________

Still to use from this box of goodies: 1/2 of the garlic scapes, peppers, onions, rutabagas.  I better hurry up because I get another box this Wednesday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Notes, News, and Reviews Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino